Sharing Secrets #
Computers are often used to store private information, and we often want to share parts of it without giving up our full privacy.
This activity shows a surprising technique discovered by computer scientists that seems impossible; it allows people to share personal certain kinds of information accurately without having to give up any privacy at all.
Activity description (PDF) #
Translations and other versions #
Related Resources #
More activities and lessons #
- The Mathmaniacs web site has a similar activity (lesson B).
- Try Engineering has an activity called Electric Messages: Then and Now which explores electronic communication, the Morse Code system, and advances all the way through text messaging. Students build a simple circuit, send messages to one another. and explore the impact of electrical communications on society.
If you want to find out more #
- Hashing Algorithms and Security – Computerphile
- Encryption and Security Agencies – Computerphile
- EXTRA BITS – Data Security and Flash Memory – Computerphile
- Security of Data on Disk – Computerphile
- Public Key Cryptography – Computerphile
Great Principles of Computer Science #